Stone Mountain Highland Games 2013

Another great Highland Games is now in the books; the 41st Annual Stone Mountain Highland Games in GA were held Oct. 19th & 20th. Again we had over 100 clans in attendance, and 30 bands were scheduled to perform. The weather was cloudy with a little rain on and off on Saturday, but sunny and warm by mid-afternoon on Sunday, just in time for the Parade of Tartans.
At the Nesbitt/Nisbet tent, we had some friends and family stop by, and a few visitors not related to us, but all very friendly folks! Dave Harvey, who is our host and our Georgia state commissioner, brought along his mother, Judy, from NC and his daughter, Beth. Ed Nisbet and his mother, Dottie, came from Augusta; they were joined by other family members, including Matt Nisbet. Our former N/N Society Treasurer, Diana Hawkins, attended with her husband Scott. Diana is the author of Shadows along the Zambezi as well as a children’s book. I had never met either of them, so that was a real treat! Diana told us about growing up in Zimbabwe. Bill Nisbet of Atlanta visited on Saturday along with some of his family members. Darrell Nesbit of Atlanta was in attendance at the Medic tent that he’s so good to volunteer at every year. He loans Dave his mounted boar’s head each year, along with other souvenirs, which ties in well with our logo. Darrell’s grandsons Darrell III and Joshua attended the Games, too. My neighbor Cheryl Mann Ray, came to see us as well as her family clan tent, the Ewen’s.
We had one N/N relative stop by from Dalton, GA. He is not sure of his connection with our family line, but I have sent him information on our Society in hopes he will follow up with one of our genealogists to find his connection. I will try to stay in touch with him to see how he does.
There was no shortage of musical groups to listen to; the beauty of our clan tent location on the backside of Clan Area, West, is that we are located directly between Stages 1 and 2, and are entertained with musicians throughout the two days. Returning this year was Rathkeltar, a Celtic rock and roll group and one of our favorities, Keltic Kudzu with their blend of “Celtic Fusion”, and Gael Warning, along with others.
We’re all looking forward to another great event next year where we can renew friendships and make new ones! :D